Leadership Thunder Bay is an innovative leadership program comprised of a 10-month curriculum based on community issues for emerging leaders. This program is designed to help participants acquire both a broader understanding of the critical issues affecting our community and the leadership skills necessary to resolve them. It helps prepare participants for the challenges of their own life-long leadership journeys, shows how to build skills and develops awareness for the rich opportunities for leadership in Thunder Bay.
Some of the many ways this program is unique:
- An emphasis on practical experience as a key part of the learning process, dealing with existing community issues in the region;
- Involving participants from all sectors of society and reflecting on the diverse nature of the region;
- Seeks to balance participation between business, government and the social profit sectors in order to nurture a new leadership network for the future;
- Integrate new leaders into the existing community leadership network.
- To expand the number of individuals who accept leadership roles in business, government and not-for-profit organizations to meet future challenges in our community;
- To increase individuals’ understanding of the area’s history, issues and activities;
- To encourage dialogue between the region’s present leaders and our emerging leaders;
- To develop an outstanding network of people with a sense of community trusteeship and commitment to generate a synergy to sustain and build our community.
To the Individual
- Increased leadership skills
- Knowledge of regional issues
- Knowledge of the region and its history
- Informed network of diverse colleagues
- Understanding of diversity
- Refinement of personal values and mission
To the Community
- Pool of committed community leaders to serve as board members and volunteers
- Talented group of leaders who can be called upon for solutions to community issues
- Leadership that can be tapped for governmental task forces and commissions
- Well-informed citizens who are motivated to run for public office
To the Employer
- Increased leadership skills
- Knowledge of regional issues that can be used for greater organizational effectiveness
- An opportunity to position a business as an organization committed to community quality and to position its decision makers as committed community leaders
- Understanding of diversity that can be applied at the place of employment
Leadership Thunder Bay actively recruits from the diversity of people and viewpoints that make up the region. We welcome applications from anyone who demonstrates leadership qualities and is committed to creating a new network of informed and dedicated community action-takers. Applications are accepted year-round.
The leadership program spans ten months and consists of the following components:
- An orientation retreat
- 8 Leadership Learning days
- A community based team project
- A closing session and graduation
Community Action Projects are submitted by local organizations and interest groups. During the opening retreat projects are selected by the participants and completed prior to graduation. Over the past 10 years, a variety of projects have helped our leaders make an impact on the community. Read more about our CAP Projects.
Tuition for the program is set at $2,700. A portion or all of this fee is generally covered by employers who recognize the many benefits of the program in staff development. Bursaries may be provided to qualified candidates and payment plans are available.
A $500 non-refundable deposit is due upon acceptance into the program. In order to ensure balance and equal participation in the program, Leadership Thunder Bay may, to some degree, provide tuition assistance for a limited number of qualified participants in need.